- W. Francis, Coal, Its Formation and Composition, 2nd ed.,
Edward Arnold, London, UK, 1961.
- A.S. Azmi, S. Yusup, S. Muhamad, The influence of temperature
on adsorption capacity of Malaysian coal, Chem. Eng. Process.,
45 (2006) 392–396.
- S.S. Idris, N.A. Rahman, K. Ismail, A.B. Alias, Z.A. Rashid,
J.A.M.J. Mohd, Investigation on thermochemical behaviour of
low rank Malaysian coal, oil palm biomass and their blends
during pyrolysis via thermogravimetric analysis (TGA),
Bioresour. Technol., 101 (2010) 4584–4592.
- A.U. Ambun, Malaysia’s Coal Resource: Opportunities and
Challenges, Department of Mineral and Geosciences Malaysia,
Sarawak, 2003. Available at: http://www.p.sabah.gov.my/galian/N SeminarP123.html (Accessed 8 December 2003).
- C.B. Lim, Environmental Protection in Coal Utilization and
Its Problems at Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Aziz Power Station,
Kapar, National Energy Corporation, 1991.
- J. Xu, L. Chen, H. Qu, Y. Jiao, J. Xie, G. Xing, Preparation and
characterization of activated carbon from reedy grass leaves by
chemical activation with H3PO4, Appl. Surface Sci., 320 (2014)
- A.H. Jawad, R.A. Rashid, K. Ismail, S. Sabar, High surface area
mesoporous activated carbon developed from coconut leaf by
chemical activation with H3PO4 for adsorption of methylene
blue, Desal. Wat. Treat., 74 (2017) 326–335.
- A.H. Jawad, S. Sabar, M.A.M. Ishak, L.D. Wilson, S.S.A.
Norrahma, M.K. Talari, A.M. Farhan, Microwave-assisted
preparation of mesoporous activated carbon from coconut
(Cocos nucifera) leaf by H3PO4-activation for methylene blue
adsorption, Chem. Eng. Commun., 204 (2017) 1143–1156.
- A.H. Jawad, R.A. Rashid, M.A.M. Ishak, L.D. Wilson,
Adsorption of methylene blue onto activated carbon developed
from biomass waste by H2SO4 activation: kinetic, equilibrium
and thermodynamic studies, Desal. Wat. Treat., 57 (2016)
- A.H. Jawad, M.A.M. Ishak, A.M. Farhan, K. Ismail, Response
surface methodology approach for optimization of color
removal and COD reduction of methylene blue using
microwave-induced NaOH activated carbon from biomass
waste, Desal. Wat. Treat., 62 (2017) 208–220.
- F. Marrakchi, M.J. Ahmed, W.A. Khanday, M. Asif, B.H.
Hameed, Mesoporous-activated carbon prepared from chitosan
flakes via single-step sodium hydroxide activation for the
adsorption of methylene blue, Int. J. Biol. Macromol., 98 (2017)
- L. Gao, F. Dong, Q. Dai, G. Zhong, U. Halik, D. Lee, Coal
tar residues based activated carbon: preparation and
characterization, J. Taiwan Inst. Chem. Eng., 63 (2016) 166–169.
- R. Acosta, V. Fierro, A.M. Yuso, D. Nabarlatz, A. Celzard,
Tetracycline adsorption onto activated carbons produced by
KOH activation of tyre pyrolysis char, Chemosphere, 149 (2016)
- A.H. Jawad, N.F.H. Mamat, M.F. Abdullah, K. Ismail,
Adsorption of methylene blue onto acid-treated mango peels:
kinetic, equilibrium and thermodynamic, Desal. Wat. Treat., 59
- E. Yagmur, M. Ozmak, Z. Aktas, A novel method for production
of activated carbon from waste tea by chemical activation with
microwave energy, Fuel, 87 (2008) 3278–3285.
- Q.S. Liu, T. Zheng, N. Li, P. Wang, G. Abulikemu, Modification
of bamboo-based activated carbon using microwave radiation
and its effects on the adsorption of methylene blue, Appl. Surf.
Sci., 256 (2010) 3309–3315.
- X. Wang, X. Liang, Y. Wang, X. Wang, M. Liu, D. Yin, Y. Zhang,
Adsorption of copper (II) onto activated carbons from sewage
sludge by microwave-induced phosphoric acid and zinc
chloride activation, Desalination, 278 (2011) 231–237.
- R.A. Rashid, A.H. Jawad, M.A.M. Ishak, N.N. Kasim, KOH-activated
carbon developed from biomass waste: adsorption
equilibrium, kinetic and thermodynamic studies for Methylene
blue uptake, Desal. Wat. Treat., 57 (2016) 27226–27236.
- F. Aci, M. Nebioglu, M. Arslan, M. Imamoglu, M. Zengin, M.
Kuecuekislamoglu, Preparation of activated carbon from sugar
beet molasses and adsorption of methylene blue, Fresenius
Environ. Bull., 17 (2008) 997–1001.
- A.H. Jawad, A.F. Alkarkhi, N.S.A. Mubarak, Photocatalytic
decolorization of methylene blue by an immobilized TiO2 film
under visible light irradiation: optimization using response
surface methodology (RSM), Desal. Wat. Treat., 56 (2015)
- A.H. Jawad, M.A. Islam, B.H. Hameed, Cross-linked chitosan
thin film coated onto glass plate as an effective adsorbent for
adsorption of reactive orange 16, Int. J. Biol. Macromol., 95
- N.S.A. Mubarak, A.H. Jawad, W.I. Nawawi, Equilibrium,
kinetic and thermodynamic studies of Reactive Red 120 dye
adsorption by chitosan beads from aqueous solution, Energy
Ecol. Environ., 2 (2017) 85–93.
- M.A. Jamaluddin, K. Ismail, M.A.M. Ishak, Z. Ab Ghani, M.F.
Abdullah, M.T.U. Safian, N.I.N. Mohd Hakimi, Microwaveassisted
pyrolysis of palm kernel shell: optimization using
response surface methodology (RSM), Renew. Energy, 55 (2013)
- M. Ahmedna, W.E. Marshall, R.M. Rao, S.J. Clarke, Use of
filtration and buffers in raw sugar colour measurements, J. Sci.
Food Agric., 75 (1997) 109–116.
- K.S.W. Sing, D.H. Everett, R.A.W. Haul, L. Moscou, R.A. Pierotti,
J. Rouquerol, T. Siemienewska, Reporting physisorption data
for gas–solid systems, Pure Appl. Chem., 57 (1985) 603–619.
- Y. Guo, K. Yu, Z. Wang, H. Xu, Effects of activation conditions
on preparation of porous carbon from rice husk, Carbon, 41
- K.Y. Foo, B.H. Hameed, Porous structure and adsorptive
properties of pineapple peel based activated carbons
prepared via microwave assisted KOH and K2CO3 activation,
Microporous Mesoporous Mater., 148 (2012) 191–195.
- K.Y. Foo, B.H. Hameed, Utilization of oil palm biodiesel solid
residue as renewable sources for preparation of granular
activated carbon by microwave induced KOH activation,
Bioresour. Technol., 130 (2013) 696–702.
- K.Y. Foo, B.H. Hameed, Preparation of oil palm (Elaeis) empty
fruit bunch activated carbon by microwave-assisted KOH
activation for the adsorption of methylene blue, Desalination,
275 (2011) 302–305.
- K.Y. Foo, B.H. Hameed, Utilization of rice husks as a feedstock
for preparation of activated carbon by microwave induced
KOH and K2CO3 activation, Bioresour. Technol., 102 (2011)
- H. Deng, G. Li, H. Yang, J. Tang, J. Tang, Preparation of activated
carbons from cotton stalk by microwave assisted KOH and
K2CO3 activation, Chem. Eng. J., 163 (2010) 373–381.
- K.Y. Foo, B.H. Hameed, Microwave-assisted preparation of
oil palm fiber activated carbon for methylene blue adsorption,
Chem. Eng. J., 166 (2011) 792–795.
- K.Y. Foo, B.H. Hameed, Preparation and characterization of
activated carbon from pistachio nut shells via microwaveinduced
chemical activation, Biomass Bioenergy, 35 (2011)
- J. Laine, A. Calafat, Factors affecting the preparation of activated
carbons from coconut shell catalized by potassium, Carbon, 29
- Q. Jiang, M.Z. Qu, G.M. Zhou, B.L. Zhang, Z.L. Yu, A study of
activated carbon nanotubes as electrochemical super capacitors
electrode materials, Mater. Lett., 57 (2002) 988–991.
- M.D. Pavlović, A.V. Buntić, K.R. Mihajlovski, S.S. Šiler-
Marinković, D.G. Antonović, Ž. Radovanović, S.I. Dimitrijević-
Branković, Rapid cationic dye adsorption on polyphenolextracted
coffee grounds—a response surface methodology
approach, J. Taiwan Inst. Chem. Eng., 45 (2014) 1691–1699.
- A.H. Jawad, M.A. Nawi, Characterizations of the
photocatalytically-oxidized cross-linked chitosanglutaraldehyde
and its application as a sub-layer in the
TiO2/CS-GLA bilayer photocatalyst system, J. Polym. Environ.,
20 (2012) 817–829.
- J. Coates, Interpretation of Infrared Spectra, A Practical
Approach, R.A. Meyers, Ed., Encyclopedia of Analytical
Chemistry, John Wiley & Sons Ltd., Chichester, 2000, pp.
- M.N. Nawi, A.H. Jawad, S. Sabar, W.S.W. Ngah, Photocatalyticoxidation
of solid state chitosan by immobilized bilayer
assembly of TiO2–chitosan under a compact household
fluorescent lamp irradiation, Carbohydr. Polym., 83 (2011)
- B. Hayati, N.M. Mahmoodi, Modification of activated carbon
by the alkaline treatment to remove the dyes from wastewater:
mechanism, isotherm and kinetic, Desal. Wat. Treat., 47 (2012)
- M.A. Islam, S. Sabar, A. Benhouri, W.A. Khanday, M. Asif, B.H.
Hameed, Nanoporous activated carbon prepared from karanj
(Pongamia pinnata) fruit hulls for methylene blue adsorption, J.
Taiwan Inst. Chem. Eng., 74 (2017) 96–104.
- S. Chakraborty, S. Chowdhury, P. Das Saha, Adsorption of
Crystal Violet from aqueous solution onto NaOH-modified rice
husk, Carbohydr. Polym., 86 (2011) 1533–1541.
- M.V. Lopez-Ramon, F. Stoeckli, C. Moreno-Castilla, F. Carrasco-Marin, On the characterization of acidic and basic surface sites
on carbons by various techniques, Carbon, 37 (1999) 1215–1221.
- I. Langmuir, The adsorption of gases on plane surfaces of glass,
mica and platinum, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 40 (1918) 1361–1403.
- H. Freundlich, Ueber die adsorption in Loesungen (Adsorption
in solution), Z. Phys. Chem., 57 (1906) 385–470.
- M.J. Temkin, V. Pyzhev, Recent modifications to Langmuir
isotherms, Acta Physiochim. URSS, 12 (1940) 217–222.
- S. Lagergren, Zur theorie der sogenannten adsorption geloster
stoffe, K. Sven. Vetensk.akad. Handl., 24 (1898) 1–39.
- Y.S. Ho, G. McKay, Sorption of dye from aqueous solution by
peat, Chem. Eng. J., 70 (1998) 115–124.
- G. Karaçetin, S. Sivrikaya, M. Imamoğlu, Adsorption of
methylene blue from aqueous solutions by activated carbon
prepared from hazelnut husk using zinc chloride, J. Anal. Appl.
Pyrolysis, 110 (2014) 270–276.
- M.J. Jaycock, G.D. Parfitt, Chemistry of Interfaces, Ellis
Horwood Ltd., Onichester, 1981.
- K.E. Noll, V. Gounaris, W.S. Hou, Adsorption Technology for
Air and Water Pollution Control, Lewis Publishers, Chelsea,
MI, 1992, pp. 21–22.
- Y. Yu, Y.Y. Zhuang, Z.H. Wang, Adsorption of water-soluble
dye onto functionalized resin, J. Colloid Interface Sci., 242
- D.D. Asouhidou, K.S. Triantafyllidis, N.K. Lazaridis, K.A. Matis,
S.S. Kim, T.J. Pinnavaia, Sorption of reactive dyes from aqueous
solutions by ordered hexagonal and disordered mesoporous
carbons, Microporous Mesoporous Mater., 117 (2009) 257–267.