- L. Chekli, S. Phuntsho, H.K. Shon, S. Vigneswaran, J.
Kandasamy, A. Chanan, A review of draw solutes in forward
osmosis process and their use in modern applications, Desal.
Wat. Treat., 43 (2012) 167–184.
- M.F. Flanagan, I.C. Escobar, Novel charged and hydrophilized
polybenzimidazole (PBI) membranes for forward osmosis, J.
Membr. Sci., 434 (2013) 85–92.
- S. Zhao, L. Zou, C.Y. Tang, D. Mulcahy, Recent developments in
forward osmosis: opportunities and challenges, J. Membr. Sci.,
396 (2012) 1–21.
- D.L. Shaffer, J.R. Werber, H. Jaramillo, S. Lin, M. Elimelech,
Forward osmosis: where are we now?, Desalination, 356 (2015)
- T.-S. Chung, S. Zhang, K.Y. Wang, J. Su, M.M. Ling, Forward
osmosis processes: yesterday, today and tomorrow,
Desalination, 287 (2012) 78–81.
- W. Tang, H.Y. Ng, Concentration of brine by forward
osmosis: performance and influence of membrane structure,
Desalination, 224 (2008) 143–153.
- T.Y. Cath, A.E. Childress, M. Elimelech, Forward osmosis:
principles, applications, and recent developments, J. Membr.
Sci., 281 (2006) 70–87.
- G.T. Gray, J.R. McCutcheon, M. Elimelech, Internal concentration
polarization in forward osmosis: role of membrane orientation,
Desalination, 197 (2006) 1–8.
- M. Qasim, N.A. Darwish, S. Sarp, N. Hilal, Water desalination
by forward (direct) osmosis phenomenon: a comprehensive
review, Desalination, 374 (2015) 47–69.
- S. Phuntsho, S. Sahebi, T. Majeed, F. Lotfi, J.E. Kim, H.K.
Shon, Assessing the major factors affecting the performances
of forward osmosis and its implications on the desalination
process, J. Chem. Eng., 231 (2013) 484–496.
- S. Phuntsho, S. Vigneswaran, J. Kandasamy, S. Hong, S. Lee,
H.K. Shon, Influence of temperature and temperature difference
in the performance of forward osmosis desalination process, J.
Membr. Sci., 415 (2012) 734–744.
- S. Lim, M.J. Park, S. Phuntsho, L.D. Tijing, G.M. Nisola, W.-G.
Shim, W.-J. Chung, H.K. Shon, Dual-layered nanocomposite
substrate membrane based on polysulfone/graphene oxide
for mitigating internal concentration polarization in forward
osmosis, Polymer, 110 (2017) 36–48.
- J.M.C. Puguan, H.-S. Kim, K.-J. Lee, H. Kim, Low internal
concentration polarization in forward osmosis membranes
with hydrophilic crosslinked PVA nanofibers as porous support
layer, Desalination, 336 (2014) 24–31.
- Y. Wang, M. Zhang, Y. Liu, Q. Xiao, S. Xu, Quantitative
evaluation of concentration polarization under different
operating conditions for forward osmosis process, Desalination,
398 (2016) 106–113.
- G. Han, Z.L. Cheng, T.-S. Chung, Thin-film composite (TFC)
hollow fiber membrane with double-polyamide active layers
for internal concentration polarization and fouling mitigation
in osmotic processes, J. Membr. Sci., 523 (2017) 497–504.
- S. Zhang, K.Y. Wang, T.-S. Chung, H. Chen, Y.C. Jean, G. Amy,
Well-constructed cellulose acetate membranes for forward
osmosis: minimized internal concentration polarization with an
ultra-thin selective layer, J. Membr. Sci., 360 (2010) 522–535.
- D.H. Jung, J. Lee, D.Y. Kim, Y.G. Lee, M. Park, S. Lee, D.R. Yang,
J.H. Kim, Simulation of forward osmosis membrane process:
effect of membrane orientation and flow direction of feed and
draw solutions, Desalination, 277 (2011) 83–91.
- A.H. Hawari, N. Kamal, A. Altaee, Combined influence of
temperature and flow rates of feed on the performance of
forward osmosis, Desalination, 398 (2016) 98–105.
- J. Minier-Matar, A. Hussain, A. Janson, R. Wang, A.G. Fane, S.
Adham, Application of forward osmosis for reducing volume
of produced/process water from oil and gas operations,
Desalination, 376 (2015) 1–8.
- V. Yangali-Quintanilla, Z. Li, R. Valladares, Q. Li, G. Amy,
Indirect desalination of Red Sea water with forward osmosis
and low pressure reverse osmosis for water reuse, Desalination,
280 (2011) 160–166.
- N. Ghaffour, T.M. Missimer, G.L. Amy, Technical review and
evaluation of the economics of water desalination: current
and future challenges for better water supply sustainability,
Desalination, 309 (2013) 197–207.
- Y. Gao, Y.-N. Wang, W. Li, C.Y. Tang, Characterization of
internal and external concentration polarizations during
forward osmosis processes, Desalination, 338 (2014) 65–73.
- N. Akther, A. Sodiq, A. Giwa, S. Daer, H. Arafat, S. Hasan,
Recent advancements in forward osmosis desalination: a
review, J. Chem. Eng., 281 (2015) 502–522.
- C. Suh, S. Lee, Modeling reverse draw solute flux in forward
osmosis with external concentration polarization in both sides
of the draw and feed solution, J. Membr. Sci., 427 (2013) 365–374.
- J.R. McCutcheon, M. Elimelech, Influence of concentrative and
dilutive internal concentration polarization on flux behavior in
forward osmosis, J. Membr. Sci., 284 (2006) 237–247.
- J.R. McCutcheon, R.L. McGinnis, M. Elimelech, Desalination by
ammonia–carbon dioxide forward osmosis: influence of draw
and feed solution concentrations on process performance, J.
Membr. Sci., 278 (2006) 114–123.