- W.S. de Amorim, I.B. Valduga, J.M.P. Ribeiro, V.G. Williamson,
G.E. Krauser, M.K. Magtoto, J.B.S.O. de Andrade Guerra,
The nexus between water, energy, and food in the context of
the global risks: an analysis of the interactions between food,
water, and energy security, Environ. Impact Assess. Rev.,
72 (2018) 1–11.
- X. Zheng, D. Chen, Q. Wang, Z. Zhang, Seawater desalination
in China: retrospect and prospect, Chem. Eng. J., 242 (2014)
- State of sea-water desalination technology reviewed, Membr.
Technol., 2011 (2011) 9.
- Y. Ibrahim, H.A. Arafat, T. Mezher, F. AlMarzooqi, An
integrated framework for sustainability assessment of seawater
desalination, Desalination, 447 (2018) 1–17.
- P. Rao, W.R. Morrow, A. Aghajanzadeh, P. Sheaffer, C. Dollinger,
S. Brueske, J. Cresko, Energy considerations associated with
increased adoption of seawater desalination in the United
States, Desalination, 445 (2018) 213–224.
- N. Voutchkov, Energy use for membrane seawater desalination –
current status and trends, Desalination, 431 (2018) 2–14.
- D. Wu, A. Gao, H. Zhao, X. Feng, Pervaporative desalination of
high-salinity water, Chem. Eng. Res. Des., 136 (2018) 154–164.
- V.C. Onishi, R. Ruiz-Femenia, R. Salcedo-Díaz, A. Carrero-Parreño, J.A. Reyes-Labarta, E.S. Fraga, J.A. Caballero, Process
optimization for zero-liquid discharge desalination of shale gas
flowback water under uncertainty, J. Cleaner Prod., 164 (2017)
- Y.-N. Wang, K. Goh, X. Li, L. Setiawan, R. Wang, Membranes
and processes for forward osmosis-based desalination:
recent advances and future prospects, Desalination, 434 (2018)
- R.K. McGovern, J.H. Lienhard V, On the potential of forward
osmosis to energetically outperform reverse osmosis
desalination, J. Membr. Sci., 469 (2014) 245–250.
- N.T. Hancock, P. Xu, M.J. Roby, J.D. Gomez, T.Y. Cath, Towards
direct potable reuse with forward osmosis: technical assessment
of long-term process performance at the pilot scale,
J. Membr. Sci., 445 (2013) 34–46.
- D.J. Johnson, W.A. Suwaileh, A.W. Mohammed, N. Hilal,
Osmotic’s potential: an overview of draw solutes for forward
osmosis, Desalination, 434 (2018) 100–120.
- J.E. Kim, S. Phuntsho, S.M. Ali, J.Y. Choi, H.K. Shon, Forward
osmosis membrane modular configurations for osmotic
dilution of seawater by forward osmosis and reverse osmosis
hybrid system, Water Res., 128 (2018) 183–192.
- S. Phuntsho, H.K. Shon, S. Hong, S. Lee, S. Vigneswaran,
A novel low energy fertilizer driven forward osmosis
desalination for direct fertigation: evaluating the performance
of fertilizer draw solutions, J. Membr. Sci., 375 (2011) 172–181.
- F.A. Siddiqui, Q. She, A.G. Fane, R.W. Field, Exploring the
differences between forward osmosis and reverse osmosis
fouling, J. Membr. Sci., 565 (2018) 241–253.
- G. Blandin, H. Vervoort, P. Le-Clech, A.R.D. Verliefde, Fouling
and cleaning of high permeability forward osmosis membranes,
J. Water Process Eng., 9 (2016) 161–169.
- E.W. Tow, D.M. Warsinger, A.M. Trueworthy, J. Swaminathan,
G.P. Thiel, S.M. Zubair, A.S. Myerson, J.H. Lienhard V,
Comparison of fouling propensity between reverse osmosis,
forward osmosis, and membrane distillation, J. Membr. Sci.,
556 (2018) 352–364.
- F. Lotfi, B. Samali, D. Hagare, Cleaning efficiency of the fouled
forward osmosis membranes under different experimental
conditions, J. Environ. Chem. Eng., 6 (2018) 4555–4563.
- M. Zhang, Q. She, X. Yan, C.Y. Tang, Effect of reverse solute
diffusion on scaling in forward osmosis: a new control strategy
by tailoring draw solution chemistry, Desalination, 401 (2017)
- Z. Li, R. Valladares Linares, S. Bucs, C. Aubry, N. Ghaffour,
J.S. Vrouwenvelder, G. Amy, Calcium carbonate scaling in
seawater desalination by ammonia–carbon dioxide forward
osmosis: mechanism and implications, J. Membr. Sci., 481
- S. Phuntsho, F. Lotfi, S. Hong, D.L. Shaffer, M. Elimelech,
H.K. Shon, Membrane scaling and flux decline during fertiliserdrawn
forward osmosis desalination of brackish groundwater,
Water Res., 57 (2014) 172–182.
- G. Gwak, S. Hong, New approach for scaling control in forward
osmosis (FO) by using an antiscalant-blended draw solution,
J. Membr. Sci., 530 (2017) 95–103.
- B. Mi, M. Elimelech, Silica scaling and scaling reversibility in
forward osmosis, Desalination, 312 (2013) 75–81.
- S. Lee, J. Kim, C.-H. Lee, Analysis of CaSO4 scale formation
mechanism in various nanofiltration modules, J. Membr. Sci.,
163 (1999) 63–74.
- M. Shmulevsky, X. Li, H. Shemer, D. Hasson, R. Semiat, Analysis
of the onset of calcium sulfate scaling on RO membranes,
J. Membr. Sci., 524 (2017) 299–304.
- A.J. Karabelas, A. Karanasiou, S.T. Mitrouli, Incipient membrane
scaling by calcium sulfate during desalination in narrow
spacer-filled channels, Desalination, 345 (2014) 146–157.
- S. Lee, R.M. Lueptow, Control of scale formation in reverse
osmosis by membrane rotation, Desalination, 155 (2003)
- K.M. Sassi, I.M. Mujtaba, Effective design of reverse osmosis
based desalination process considering wide range of salinity
and seawater temperature, Desalination, 306 (2012) 8–16.
- F. Kretschmer, L. Simperler, T. Ertl, Analysing wastewater
temperature development in a sewer system as a basis for
the evaluation of wastewater heat recovery potentials, Energy
Build., 128 (2016) 639–648.
- M.R. Chowdhury, J.R. McCutcheon, Elucidating the impact
of temperature gradients across membranes during forward
osmosis: coupling heat and mass transfer models for better
prediction of real osmotic systems, J. Membr. Sci., 553 (2018)
- R. Thiruvenkatachari, M. Francis, M. Cunnington, S. Su,
Application of integrated forward and reverse osmosis for coal
mine wastewater desalination, Sep. Purif. Technol., 163 (2016)
- G. Gwak, D.I. Kim, S. Hong, New industrial application of
forward osmosis (FO): precious metal recovery from printed
circuit board (PCB) plant wastewater, J. Membr. Sci., 552 (2018)
- K.G. Nayar, M.H. Sharqawy, L.D. Banchik, J.H. Lienhard
V. Thermophysical properties of seawater: a review and new
correlations that include pressure dependence, Desalination,
390 (2016) 1–24.