- M.A. Talib, Z. Tang, A. Shahab, J. Siddique, M. Faheem,
M. Fatima, Hydrogeochemical characterization and suitability
assessment of groundwater: a case study in Central Sindh,
Pakistan, Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health, 16 (2019) 886.
- A. López-Serrano, R.M. Olivas, J.S. Landaluze, C. Cámara,
Nanoparticles: a global vision. Characterization, separation,
and quantification methods. Potential environmental and
health impact, Anal. Methods, 6 (2014) 38–56.
- J.P.R. Sorensen, D.J. Lapworth, D.C.W. Nkhuwa, M.E. Stuart,
D.C. Gooddy, R.A. Bell, S. Pedley, Emerging contaminants in
urban groundwater sources in Africa, Water Res., 72 (2015)
- G.Y. Hadzi, D.K. Essumang, G.A. Ayoko, Assessment of
contamination and health risk of heavy metals in selected water
bodies around gold mining areas in Ghana, Environ. Monit.
Assess., 190 (2018) 406.
- V.M. Wagh, D.B. Panaskar, J.A. Jacobs, S.V. Mukate, A.A. Muley,
A.K. Kadam, Influence of hydro-geochemical processes on
groundwater quality through geostatistical techniques in Kadava
River basin, Western India, Arabian J. Geosci., 12 (2019) 7.
- S. Rehman, Z. Hussain, S. Zafar, H. Ullah, S. Badshah, S.S.
Ahmad, J. Saleem, Assessment of ground water quality of Dera
Ismail Khan, Pakistan, using multivariate statistical approach,
Science, 37 (2018) 173–183.
- R. Amin, M.B. Zaidi, S. Bashir, R. Khanani, R. Nawaz, S. Ali,
S. Khan, Microbial contamination levels in the drinking water
and associated health risk in Karachi, Pakistan, J. Water
Sanitation Hyg. Dev., 9 (2019) 319–328.
- S. Chetty, L. Pillay, Assessing the influence of human activities
on river health: a case for two South African rivers with differing
pollutant sources, Environ. Monit. Assess., 191 (2019) 168.
- M.T. Sohail, H. Delin, M.A. Talib, X. Xiaoqing, M.M. Akhtar,
An analysis of environmental law in Pakistan-policy and
conditions of implementation, Res. J. Appl. Sci. Eng. Technol.,
8 (2014) 644–653.
- K. Rehman, F. Fatima, I. Waheed, M.S.H. Akash, Prevalence
of exposure of heavy metals and their impact on health
consequences, J. Cell. Biochem., 119 (2018) 157–184.
- Y. Mahfooz, A. Yasar, M.T. Sohail, A.B. Tabinda, R. Rasheed,
S. Irshad, B. Yousaf, Investigating the drinking and surface
water quality and associated health risks in a semi-arid multiindustrial
metropolis (Faisalabad), Pakistan, Environ. Sci.
Pollut. Res., 26 (2019) 20853–20865.
- A. Rasool, A. Farooqi, T. Xiao, W. Ali, S. Noor, O. Abiola,
W. Nasim, A review of global outlook on fluoride contamination
in groundwater with prominence on the Pakistan current
situation, Environ. Geochem. Health, 40 (2018) 1265–1281.
- P.B. Pavlinac, R.L. Brander, H.E. Atlas, G.C. John-Stewart,
D.M. Denno, J.L. Walson, Interventions to reduce post-acute
consequences of diarrheal disease in children: a systematic
review, BMC Publ. Health, 18 (2018) 208.
- United Nations, Department of Economic and Social Affairs,
Population Division World Urbanization Prospects: The 2007
Revision, United Nations Statistics Division, Demographic and
Social Statistics: Demographic Yearbook 2006, United Nations,
New York, accessed on 17–8–2008.
- M.T. Sohail, H. Delin, A. Siddiq, Indus basin waters a main
resource of water in Pakistan: an analytical approach, Curr.
World Environ., 9 (2014) 670.
- T.W. Ann, Y. Wu, B. Zheng, X. Zhang, L. Shen, Identifying risk
factors of urban-rural conflict in urbanization: a case of China,
Habitat Int., 44 (2014) 177–185.
- L.Y. Shen, J. Zhou, Examining the effectiveness of indicators
for guiding sustainable urbanization in China, Habitat Int.,
44 (2014) 111–120.
- L. Jiao, L. Shen, C. Shuai, B.A. He, Novel approach for assessing
the performance of sustainable urbanization based on structural
equation modeling: a China case study, Sustainability, 8 (2016)
- A. S. Qureshi, Improving food security and livelihood resilience
through groundwater management in Pakistan, Global Adv.
Res. J. Agric. Sci., 4 (2015) 687–710.
- APHA, Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and
Waste Water, 17th ed., American Public Health Association,
Washington, D.C., 2012.
- R.K. Horton, An index number system for rating water quality,
J. Water Pollut. Control Fed., 37 (1965) 300–306.
- C.R. Ramakrishnaiah, C. Sadashivaiah, G. Ranganna, Assessment
of water quality index for the ground water in Tumkur
Taluk, E-J. Chem., 6 (2009) 523–530.
- ASTDR, Toxicological Profile for Arsenic. U.S. Department
of Health and Human Services, Agency for Toxic Substances,
Disease Registry, Atlanta, Georgia, 2000, p. 2000.
- USEPA, Risk Assessment Guidance for Superfund, Vol. I,
Human Health Evaluation, Manual (Part A), Office of Emergency
and Remedial Response, Washington, 1989.
- M.T. Sohail, Y. Mahfooz, K. Azam, Y. Yen, L. Genfu,
S. Fahad, Impacts of urbanization and land cover dynamics on
underground water in Islamabad, Pakistan, Desal. Wat. Treat.,
159 (2019) 402–411.
- ASTDR, Toxicological Proﬁle for Arsenic, U.S. Department
of Health and Human Services, Agency for Toxic Substances,
Disease Registry, Atlanta, Georgia, 2007, pp. 2000.
- USEPA, Guidelines for Carcinogen Risk Assessment, In: Risk
Assessment Forum USEPA, Washington, D.C., EPA/630/P-
- S. Khan, Q. Cao, Y. Zheng, Y. Huang, Y. Zhu, Health risks of
heavy metals in contaminated soils and food crops irrigated
with wastewater in Beijing, China. Environ. Pollut., 152 (2008)
- S. Muhammad, M.T. Shah, S. Khan, Arsenic health risk
assessment in drinking water and source apportionment using
multivariate statistical techniques in Kohistan region, Northern
Pakistan, Food Chem. Toxicol., 48 (2010) 2855–2864.
- WHO, Background Document for the Development of
WHO Guideline for Drinking Water Quality, World Health
- PCRWR, Annual Report 2005–2006, Part 2. Islamabad, Pakistan:
Pakistan Council for Research in Water Resources (PCRWR),
2008a. Available at: http://www.pcrwr.gov. pk/Annual%20
- Y. Mahfooz, A. Yasar, A.B. Tabinda., M.T. Sohail, A. Siddiqua,
S. Mahmood, Quantification of the River Ravi pollution load
and oxidation pond treatment to improve the drain water
quality, Desal. Wat. Treat., 85 (2017) 132–137.
- T. Mehmood, I. Bibi, M. Shahid, N.K. Niazi, B. Murtaza,
H. Wang, Effect of compost addition on arsenic uptake,
and physiological attributes of maize plants
grown in contrasting soils, J. Geochem. Explor., 178 (2017)
- N. Al-Mutairi, A. Abahussain, A. El-Battay, Application of Water
Quality Index to Assess the Environmental Quality of Kuwait
Bay, International Conference on Advances in Agricultural,
Biological and Environmental Sciences (AABES-2014), Dubai
(UAE), Oct 15–16 2014.
- A.H.M.J. Alobaidy, H.S. Abid, B.K. Maulood, Application of
water quality index for assessment of Dokan lake ecosystem,
Kurdistan region, Iraq. J. Water Resour. Prot., 2 (2010) 792.
- J. Xiao, L. Wang, L. Deng, Z. Jin, Characteristics, sources, water
quality and health risk assessment of trace elements in river
water and well water in the Chinese Loess Plateau, Sci. Total
Environ., 650 (2019) 2004–2012.
- C. Jain, S. Sharma, S. Singh, Physico-chemical characteristics
and hydrogeological mechanisms in groundwater with special
reference to arsenic contamination in Barpeta District, Assam
(India), Environ. Monit. Assess., 190 (2018) 417.
- A.M. Piper, A graphic procedure in the geochemical interpretation
of water‐analyses, Eos, Trans. Am. Geophys. Union,
25 (1944) 914–928.
- Pakistan Bureau of Statistics, Population Size and Growth of
Major Cities, Available at: http://www.pbs.gov.pk/sites/default/
major%20cities.pdf accessed: 2016-10-30. (archived by webcite®
- Pakistan Bureau of Statistics, District and Tehsil Level
Population Summary with Region Breakup, Available at: http://www.pbscensus.gov.pk/sites/default/files/bwpsr/islamabad/
ISLAMABAD_SUMMARY.pdf accessed: 2018-07-05.
- B.J. Hibbs, J.M. Sharp, Hydrogeological impacts of
urbanization, Environ. Eng. Geosci., 18 (2012) 3–24.
- M. Kugelman, Urbanization in Pakistan: Causes and
Consequences, NOREF Norwegian Peacebuilding Resource
Center, Washington D.C. 2013.
- M.A. Sawas, Urbanization and political change in Pakistan:
exploring the known unknowns, Third World Q., 34 (2013)