- European Union, Directive on the quality of water intended for
human consumption, 98/83/CE, 1998.
- T.A. Bellar, J.J. Lichtenberg and R.C. Kroner, Occurrence of
organohalides in chlorinated drinking waters. J. AWWA, 66(12)
- Food and Drug Administration, 66 FR 16858, 2001.
- USEPA, Guidelines for Carcinogen Risk Assessment, EPA/630/P-
- L. Attias, A. Contu, A. Loizzo, M. Massiglia, P. Valente and G.A.
Zapponi, Trihalomethanes in drinking water and cancer: risk
assessment and integrated evaluation of available data, in animals
and humans, Sci. Total Environ., 171(1–3) (1995) 61–68.
- J.K. Dunnick and R.L. Melnick, Assessment of the carcinogenic
potential of chlorinated water: experimental studies of chlorine,
chloramine, and trihalomethanes. J. National Cancer Institute,
85(10) (1993) 817–822.
- M.H. George, G.R. Olson, D. Doerfler, T. Moore, S. Kilburn and
A.B. DeAngelo, Carcinogenicity of bromodichloromethane
administered in drinking water to male F344/N rats and B6C3F1
mice, Internat. J. Toxicol., 21(3) (2002) 219–230.
- P. Backlund, Degradation of aquatic humic material by ultraviolet
light, Chemosphere, 25(12) (1992) 1869–1878.
- P. Blazka and L. Prochazkova, Mineralization of organic matter in
water by UV irradiation, Water Res., 17(4) (1983) 355–364.
- W. Buchanan, F. Roddick, N. Porter and M. Drikas, Fractionation
of UV and VUV pretreated natural organic matter from drinking
water, Environ. Sci. Technol., 39(12) (2005) 4647–4654.
- W. Liu, S.A. Andrews, C. Sharpless, M. Stefan, K.G. Linden and
J.R. Bolton, Bench-scale investigations into comparative evaluation
of DBP formation from different UV/H2O2 technologies,
Proc. Water Quality Technology Conference, 2002, pp. 860–869.
- A. Savino, C. Pasquarella, M. Pitzurra, D. Carnimeo, F. Donadio,
R. Arena and A. Guastella, Experience on ultraviolet radiation and
hydrogen peroxide for water disinfection, Ing. Amb., 23(7–8)
- R. Sommer, A. Cabaj, G. Hirschmann, W. Pribil and T. Haider,
Perspectives of UV drinking water disinfection, Proc. Disinfection
2002, Health and Safety Achieved through Disinfection, St.
Petersburg, FL, 2002, pp. 49–65.
- J. Thomson, F.A. Roddick and M. Drikas, Vacuum ultraviolet
irradiation for natural organic matter removal, J. Water Supply:
Res. Technol.–AQUA, 53(4) (2004) 193–206.
- G.S. Wang, C.H. Liao and F.J. Wu, Photodegradation of humic
acids in the presence of hydrogen peroxide, Chemosphere, 42(4)
- G.S. Wang, S.T. Hsieh and C.S. Hong, Destruction of humic acid in
water by UV light-catalyzed oxidation with hydrogen peroxide,
Water Res., 34(15) (2000) 3882–3887.
- R.L. Wolfe and M.H. Stewart, Ultraviolet disinfection of potable
water, Adv. Filtr. Sep. Technol., 5 (1992) 185–188.
- Y. Ku, L.S. Wang and Y.S. Shen, Decomposition of EDTA in
aqueous solution by UV/H2O2 process. J. Hazard. Mat. (1998) 60,
- J.L. Weeks, G.M. Meaburn and S. Gordon, Absorption coefficients
of liquid water and aqueous solutions in the far ultraviolet. Radiat.
Res., 19 (1963) 559–567.
- W. Han, W. Zhu, P. Zhang, Y. Zhang and L. Li, Photocatalytic
degradation of phenols in aqueous solution under irradiation of
254 and 185 nm UV light, Catalysis Today, 90 (2004) 319–324.
- G. Heit, A. Neuner, P.-Y. Saugy and A.M. Braun, Vacuum-UV
(172 nm) actinometry. The quantum yield of the photolysis of
water, J. Phys. Chem., 102 (1998) 551–556.
- M.G. Gonzalez, E. Oliveros, M. Woerner and A.M. Braun,
Vacuum-ultraviolet photolysis of aqueous reaction systems, J.
Photochem. Photobiol. C, 5(3) (2004) 225–246.
- M.C. Gonzalez and A.M. Braun, VUV photolysis of aqueous
solutions of nitrate and nitrite, Res. Chem. Intermed., 21 (1995)
- W. Buchanan, F. Roddick and N. Porter, Formation of hazardous
by-products resulting from the irradiation of natural organic
matter: Comparison between UV and VUV irradiation. Chemosphere,
63(7) (2006) 1130–1141.
- W. Wu, P.A. Chadik and J.J. Delfino, The relationship between
disinfection by-product formation and structural characteristics of
humic substances in chloramination, Environ. Toxicol. Chem.,
22(12) (2003) 2845–2852.
- C.M. Sharpless, M.A. Page and K.G. Linden, Impact of hydrogen
peroxide on nitrite formation during UV disinfection, Water Res.,
37(19) (2003) 4730–4736.