- A.J. Balkema, H.A. Preisig, R. Otterpohl, F.J. Lambert, Indicators
for the sustainability assessment of wastewater treatment
systems, Urban Water, 4 (2002) 153–161.
- J. Zhang, Q. She, V.W. Chang, C.Y. Tang, R.D. Webster, Mining
nutrients (N, K, P) from urban source-separated urine by
forward osmosis dewatering, Environ. Sci. Technol., 48 (2014)
- Y.T. Endale, B.D. Yirsaw, S.L. Asfaw, Pathogen reduction
efficiency of on-site treatment processes in eco-sanitation
system, Waste Manage. Res., 30 (2012) 750–754.
- B.B. Lind, Z. Ban, S. Bydén, Nutrient recovery from human
urine by struvite crystallization with ammonia adsorption
on zeolite and wollastonite, Bioresour. Technol., 73 (2000)
- J.A. Wilsenach, C.A.H. Schuurbiers, M.C.M. Van Loosdrecht,
Phosphate and potassium recovery from source separated urine
through struvite precipitation, Water Res., 41 (2007) 458–466.
- K.M. Udert, M. Wächter, Complete nutrient recovery from
source-separated urine by nitrification and distillation, Water
Res., 46 (2012) 453–464.
- T.J. Clough, L.M. Condron, Biochar and the nitrogen cycle:
introduction, J. Environ. Qual., 39 (2010) 1218–1223.
- A. Taghizadeh-Toosi, T.J. Clough, R.R. Sherlock, L.M. Condron,
A wood based low-temperature biochar captures NH3-N
generated from ruminant urine-N, retaining its bioavailability,
Plant Soil, 353 (2012) 73–84.
- T.Y. Cath, A.E. Childress, M. Elimelech, Forward osmosis:
principles, applications, and recent developments, J. Membr.
Sci., 281 (2006) 70–87.
- K. Lutchmiah, A.R.D. Verliefde, K. Roest, L.C. Rietveld, E.R.
Cornelissen, Forward osmosis for application in wastewater
treatment: a review, Water Res., 58 (2014) 179–197.
- W. Xue, K. Yamamoto, T. Tobino, Membrane fouling and longterm
performance of seawater-driven forward osmosis for
enrichment of nutrients in treated municipal wastewater, J.
Membr. Sci., 499 (2016) 555–562.
- W. Xue, T. Tobino, F. Nakajima, K. Yamamoto, Seawater-driven
forward osmosis for enriching nitrogen and phosphorous in
treated municipal wastewater: effect of membrane properties
and feed solution chemistry, Water Res., 69 (2015) 120–130.
- A.J. Ansari, F.I. Hai, W.E. Price, L.D. Nghiem, Phosphorus
recovery from digested sludge centrate using seawater-driven
forward osmosis, Sep. Purif. Technol., 163 (2016) 1–7.
- A.J. Ansari, F.I. Hai, W.E. Price, J.E. Drewes, L.D. Nghiem,
Forward osmosis as a platform for resource recovery from
municipal wastewater – a critical assessment of the literature, J.
Membr. Sci., 529 (2017) 195–206.
- S. Zhang, K.Y. Wang, T.S. Chung, H. Chen, Y.C. Jean, G. Amy,
Well-constructed cellulose acetate membranes for forward
osmosis: minimized internal concentration polarization with an
ultra-thin selective layer, J. Membr. Sci., 360 (2010) 522–535.
- J.T. Arena, B. McCloskey, B.D. Freeman, J.R. McCutcheon,
Surface modification of thin film composite membrane support
layers with polydopamine: enabling use of reverse osmosis
membranes in pressure retarded osmosis, J. Membr. Sci., 375
- M. Kumar, M. Grzelakowski, J. Zilles, M. Clark, W. Meier, Highly
permeable polymeric membranes based on the incorporation of
the functional water channel protein Aquaporin Z, Proc. Natl.
Acad. Sci. USA, 104 (2007) 20719–20724.
- J.R. McCutcheon, M. Elimelech, Influence of concentrative and
dilutive internal concentration polarization on flux behavior in
forward osmosis, J. Membr. Sci., 284 (2006) 237–247.
- A. Zhu, P.D. Christofides, Y. Cohen, Energy consumption
optimization of reverse osmosis membrane water desalination
subject to feed salinity fluctuation, Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 48
- Y. Xu, X. Peng, C.Y. Tang, Q.S. Fu, S. Nie, Effect of draw solution
concentration and operating conditions on forward osmosis
and pressure retarded osmosis performance in a spiral wound
module, J. Membr. Sci., 348 (2010) 298–309.
- H. Choi, K. Zhang, D.D. Dionysiou, D.B. Oerther, G.A. Sorial,
Influence of cross-flow velocity on membrane performance
during filtration of biological suspension, J. Membr. Sci., 248
- J.R. McCutcheon, M. Elimelech, Influence of membrane support
layer hydrophobicity on water flux in osmotically driven
membrane processes, J. Membr. Sci., 318 (2008) 458–466.
- Y.C. Kim, M. Elimelech, Adverse impact of feed channel spacers
on the performance of pressure retarded osmosis, Environ. Sci.
Technol., 46 (2012) 4673–4681.
- T.Y. Cath, D. Adams, A.E. Childress, Membrane contactor
processes for wastewater reclamation in space: II. Combined
direct osmosis, osmotic distillation, and membrane distillation
for treatment of metabolic wastewater, J. Membr. Sci., 257 (2005)
- T.Y. Cath, S. Gormly, E.G. Beaudry, M.T. Flynn, V.D. Adams,
A.E. Childress, Membrane contactor processes for wastewater
reclamation in space: part I. Direct osmotic concentration as
pretreatment for reverse osmosis, J. Membr. Sci., 257 (2005)
- S. Lee, C. Boo, M. Elimelech, S. Hong, Comparison of fouling
behaviour in forward osmosis (FO) and reverse osmosis (RO), J.
Membr. Sci., 365 (2010) 34–39.
- B. Mi, M. Elimelech, Organic fouling of forward osmosis
membranes: fouling reversibility and cleaning without chemical
reagents, J. Membr. Sci., 348 (2010) 337–345.